Wednesday 3 August 2011

Coconut oil

Ok, we decided to do the superfood thing together. We've divided them between us and we'll do one at a time. Of course there are loads of superfoods, but we'll talk about the ones we use and know about. I'll start with coconut oil today because I just bought a new jar of it.



So coconut oil might not sound very superfoody if your experience of coconut is the bounty bar. The coconut I'm talking about is organic cold-pressed virgin coconut oil. Firtsly, organic of course means that the coconut tree is grown in pure soil without using chemical pesticides. It is then cold-pressed, as opposed to other oils which are treated in high temperatures resulting in loss of important nutrients. Virgin means that the oil is the result of one pressing, not the left overs of others. So the important thing here is to realise that other coconut fats, that are not cold-pressed or organic, don't have much in common with this superfood. The most important component of coconut oil is lauric acid which makes up 50% of the total mass. Lauric acid is antiviral, antibacterial and antiprotozoal, antimicrobial, antioxidant, antifungal, etc. Basically, you could call it a natural medicine. The uses of this oil are numerous, it can be used both externally and internally. I use it as a moisturiser instead of body lotion, both on my face and body. It's best absorbed on moist skin after a shower, and it smells great. As a food, I use it when I want something sweet but healthy, here's my favourite recipe:


organic virgin coconut oil
organic porridge oats
organic raw cacao powder (Anna will discuss that soon)
organic sweetener (palm sugar, agave syrup, or honey, we'll get to those later too)
organic crushed flax seeds
anything else you want (organic dried fruits, seeds, nuts)


Mix everything up (use the amounts you feel like), put in cups or muffin forms, and keep in the fridge for ca ½ hour.


Coconut oil can also be used as a spread on bread or as a cooking oil, or mixed into yogurt or raw porridge. These are just some of the uses, but I really encourage you to explore the internet for more information about all the health benefits and uses. My favourite brand is Tropicai, which can be bought in many health food and organic shops.


If you didn't watch the documentary yet, please do so and you will understand a lot about this blog. Now I'm going to sleep, I have to wake up for work at 5am tomorrow morning. I'll be back tomorrow, good night!


Emma

No comments:

Post a Comment