Thursday 4 August 2011

Bad vs good vs bad



I wanted to talk about something I have some trouble with whenever I go to the store. Seeing as we live in Finland, it's not all that easy to get local, organic fruits and veggies all year round. In the summer it's easier as our forests are filled to the max with lingonberries and blueberries etc. A few days ago, I had an enormous craving for apples, now easy enough you go to the store and buy some. But then you have the choice between local non-organic ones, or organic ones from south america. My first instinct would be to go for the organic ones anyway, as I don't want to pump my body full of toxins, but once you think a bit more about it, it's not actually that simple. At first one would think that it is obviously better for our dear Mother Earth to get the local ones, as they haven't been flown halfway across the planet to reach my local store. But what about all the toxins sprayed around these poor local apples? That can't be good. Neither for me nor for the Earth. So then you think that the organic ones are better. But they come from, let's say, Peru and are flown thousands of kilometers so that I can buy them (plus most of the time they're wrapped in plastic, a logic I simply do not understand) which is an enormous strain on the Earth. Then I start thinking about the nutritional facts. It's quite obvious that the organic ones should have loads more nutrients than the toxic ones, but how much of it do they lose in the week or so they travel to get to my corner store?

This is something I still have not been able to solve, I simply don't know which alternative's pros weigh out the other one's cons.

I have another issue with soy milk, but let's not get into that right now.

(yay my first post!)

Anna

2 comments:

  1. I drink almond milk. it's delicious. <3
    Jordan

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, i'll start making my own almond milk as well, just need to stock up on almonds before that :)

    <3 anna

    ReplyDelete